The past couple of weeks, my sister and I have been sorting through my parents home, preparing it to be sold. We moved to the house in 1968. My parents home was always neat and clean, but they did not throw away things that might be needed or used. 40+ years is a long to for stuff to accumulate. Especially for two people who lived through the Depression.
While going through the kitchen, I found a number or old recipe boxes, all with recipes neatly typed on 3×5 cards. The Buttermilk Bacon Waffles below, aren’t healthy or frugal, but they are yummy. With the latest everything-bacon fad going on, these waffles will fit perfectly into a special occasion menu.
- 2 C flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 egg yolks, well beaten
- 1-1/2 C buttermilk
- 6 T melted butter
- 1/3 C crumbled, cooked bacon
- 2 egg whites
- Sift flour with soda, baking powder, and salt
- Combine egg yolk, milk, and butter. Add to flour mixture
- Cook bacon until crisp. Crumble. Add to flour mixture.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold quickly, but thoroughly, into batter.
- Bake on waffle iron.
Recipe source: D'On Moore