Nothing compares to breakfast. Although Sam might argue (ppphhhttt), it’s easily the best meal of the day. Unfortunately, many breakfast menus are seriously heavy on refined carbs and equally low on other essentials.
This past week I found a higher protein pancake recipe that sounded delicious. I modified for a clean eating lifestyle — increasing whole grains, lowering sugar and fat. Plus, I made it easier due to my laziness and hatred of all things kitchen. It’s definitely not as full of gourmet loveliness, but it still passed the family taste test!
- 2 C flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 egg yolks, well beaten
- 1-1/2 C buttermilk
- 6 T melted butter
- 1/3 C crumbled, cooked bacon
- 2 egg whites
- Sift flour with soda, baking powder, and salt
- Combine egg yolk, milk, and butter. Add to flour mixture
- Cook bacon until crisp. Crumble. Add to flour mixture.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold quickly, but thoroughly, into batter.
- Bake on waffle iron.
Recipe source: D'On Moore