Summer cooking gets me down for all sorts of reasons.
- It is too nice outside to stay inside and cook.
- Cooking makes things hot(ter).
And thus I am always on the lookout for dinners that are quick, healthy, and tasty, without burning up the house.
Today I found a simple dish that uses my favorite appliance, the slow cooker. I modified it just a bit to suit our needs and threw it in the crockpot in just a few minutes.
Using baby carrots and the really teeny baby potatoes (I used golden potatoes today) makes the recipe even easier, since there’s no peeling or cutting or prep.
The original recipe called for skinned chicken thighs, but I don’t like my food swimming in all that extra fat, so I pulled it off. After I removed the skin, I put it in a microwavable bowl and quickly cooked it up for our pets. They love it!
This meal also makes a tasty cold lunch the next day. Just add some fresh fruit and you’re set. Monica is in rehearsal for about six hours per day for Wizard of Oz at Sundance, so tonight I packed up her Asian Garlic Chicken in our Easy Lunchboxes and sent her off. No starving allowed!
- 10 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 1 lb tiny baby potatoes
- 1 lb green beans, snapped
- 1/2 C soy sauce
- 1/2 C honey
- 1/4 C ketchup
- 2 T minced garlic
- 2 T hopped fresh oregano
- 2 T chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 t ground pepper
- Remove skin from chicken thighs.
- Layer chicken, carrots, potatoes, and beans in slow cooker.
- Mix remaining ingredients and pour over chicken and veggies.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 7–8 hours, basting every hour.
Modified from Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken and Veggies at DamnDelicious.net.