After considering our construction options, we came to the conclusion that acting as our own contractors isn’t in the schedule. We’ve ruled out using an owner-builder system as they are generally structured.
We have been given several references and will be sending out the following letter to them.
If you are a general contractor or construction supervisor and would like to be considered, feel free to drop us a line. If you are selected, your work will be reviewed here on the site—along with the bulk of hired subcontractors—and links to your business site will be included.
To Whom It May Concern:
We are building a new home on a half-acre lot located at 242 East 600 North, Lindon, Utah.
We are looking for a general contractor or a construction supervisor to manage the project. We had originally intended to do this as an owner/builder, but time constraints have made that difficult. We are trying to find the best match for us in services and cost.
- Site survey completed
- Full architectural plans completed and available
- Structural engineering has been completed
- Site plan completed
- Project is ready to be submitted to Lindon City for permit with the exception of sizing HVAC and radiant heating, service meter and water line sizes, and the Model Energy Code Compliance Report
- Need detailed cost estimates to complete financing
- Home will be constructed of insulated concrete form with steel frame interior
- Steel frame, steel roof truss, metal decking for concrete flooring system, car park over basement already specified, estimated, and engineered—only labor needed for installation
- Insulated concrete form system for exterior walls, already specified, estimated, and engineered, subcontractor for installation already in place
- Two-story on mildly sloping lot with walk-out basement
- Top floor: 1911 sq ft
- Main floor: 2544 sq ft
- Basement: 3715 sq ft
- Garages: 1171 sq ft
- Cold storage: 276 sq ft
- Energy efficient, green home
- Radiant floor heating
- Optional pool
- Stipulated or lump sum contract
- Owner approves subcontractors based on multiple bids
- Subcontractors to bid labor and materials separately
- Option to purchase materials directly or through the subcontractor
- Labor and materials invoiced separately
- Subcontractors to be paid directly by owner
If you are interested in working with us on this project, you can get details and dowloads from our owner-builder blog.
Once you have evaluated the plans, please answer the following survey questions and include a proposal for how you would approach such a project.
Thank you for your time. We hope to hear from you soon.
Samuel M. & Alison Moore Smith
General Contractor Questionnaire
- Are you licensed? (proof)
- Are you insured? (proof)
- How long have you been in business?
- How many homes of similar construction have you built?
- How many homes of similar size have you built?
- Do you offer a written guarantee?
- How do we contact you?