We have spent the past week looking for the exterior doors for our custom home. The variety and selection of doors is enormous and it can be difficult to compare from one product to the next. Make sure you know precisely what each manufacturer is bidding on, since there are many variables.
We spoke to reps at a number of companies, looked at a lot of doors, and received getting numerous bids. Finally we settled on two companies to provide all our doors.
We have two custom doors on the front of the house, one for the main entrance and one for the office. These are being made by MeadowÂ Wood Custom Doors. Look at their website, they make stunning entry doors! We worked with Dan for a number of days. He gave us a great price that made their gorgeous doors only slightly more expensive than some of inferior quality — and the price includes finishing. Yesterday we went to the showroom and Chris helped us select all the options and complete the style design.
We selected a craftsman style door with sidelights and a transom for the front door. The upper third of the door will have glass divided into six panels with a dentil shelf below. The sidelights will have two sections of glass. Â The custom glass is rokoko seedy. The finish will be a lightly distressed rich rosewood stain on a knotty alder door. The Emtek handle we found is a gorgeous arts and crafts style, with burnished bronze on the outside and brushed nickel on the inside. Brushed nickel hinges complete the details.
I’m sincerely excited to see the doors installed. They will be such a beautiful addition to the home.
Meadow Wood’s doors have some features that were important to us:
- Each door is designed and constructed to your exact specific design and size requirements. Chris was so easy to work with. His attitude was very much “sure, we can do that” for just about any idea we had.
- To help ensure wood stability, the doors come pre-finished with a multi-step industrial coating. The Â finishing process involves meticulous sanding, application of stains, glazes and a catalyzed exterior polyurethane. We had a custom door on our last home, as well. But, as is typical, the finish work crew did the door finish rather than the door manufacturer. The finish was not as durable as we would have liked. In-plant finishing is likely to provide more protection to the door.
- Meadow Wood installs their doors to keep them working flawlessly.
- The door slabs are constructed with micro laminate engineered cores for stability and to prevent warping and twisting.
- Each of the door joints is reinforced by our unique wedged dowel system.Â This time consuming process produces a joint that is inseparable.
- The door include all heavy duty ball bearing hinges.
In addition to the two front doors, we have four other exterior doors. Two are standard, steel doors, one has half glass, and the last full glass. We chose to get these doors from Sunroc. We got a good price on these and Mike Wallace has been very helpful as well.
Other door manufacturers we considered were:
When the doors are complete and installed, I’ll post images of the final product.