This yummy cornbread is distinctive because it uses a coarser ground meal. In the past I could only find it in some Hispanic foods sections, but now Bob’s Red Mill also makes a good one, too.
- 1 C raw millet
- 2 C water
- 2 C milk
- 1 T butter
- 1 t salt
- 6 eggs, separated and beaten well separately
- Chopped pecans or walnuts
- Bring millet and water to a boil. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Add milk and cook 30 minutes.
- Add butter and salt. Cool about 5 minutes.
- Add beaten yolks and fold in beaten whites.
- Turn into 8 x 8 inch greased casserole. Top with nuts.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Serve with syrup.
Recipe source: Patti Morris