Since I was a little girl, our Christmas morning tradition has been to have a breakfast Christmas wreath. My family has continued the tradition and it’s an expected part of the holiday. But a number of years ago, we added a Christmas Eve breakfast tradition as well: Christmas French Toast.
It’s quick and not too terribly bad for you. But most of all it it so fun and really tasty. My kids look forward to having it every year.
Warning: Get your egg nog early! It seems to run out early and since it’s seasonal, it won’t be restocked. We like to use the light variety (which, honestly, still isn’t very good for you) when we can find it.
- 4 C cooked millet
- 1/4 C finely chopped celery
- 1/2 C finely chopped onion
- 1/2 t vegetable seasoning
- 2 C diluted cream (1 part heavy cream to 3 parts water) (I use half & half)
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1/2 C grated medium cheddar cheese
- To well beaten eggs, add cream, chopped vegetables, seasoning and 1 cup cheese. Stir well into millet.
- Pour into casserole and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and paprika.
- Dot with butter and bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until firm.
Recipe source: unknown.