In this day of the 100 Day Challenge, purveyor Gary Ryan Blair talks about self-inflicted acts of sabotage.These are the behaviors we choose to engage in, that we know will take us away from our ultimate goals. They follow the negative side of my husband's favorite principle, giving up what you want most, for what you want at the moment.
Once you accept the reality of how many of us sabotage our dreams, it's pretty easy to throw out a few dozen common examples:
- Staying up late, so you don't get enough sleep to start the next day optimally
- Eating junk, so you are overweight and/or underfit
- Spending inordinate amounts of precious time doing wasteful things, like playing video games, cruising the internet, watching TV, etc.
- Spending inordinate amounts of money on things that have little lasting value, like brand names and immediate gratification
- Cheating on a spouse or other acts that destroy relationships
- Leaving things our and other messy, lazy behavior, that causes resources to be lost and/or broken and leaves visual chaos
- Constant tardiness, given the impression of laziness, irresponsibility, disrespect for others, and lack of professionalism
What item would you add to the list of behaviors that tank your chances of success? What conditions will promote success?
Notice the contrast in the behaviors listed below. One column represents self-defeating character traits and the other traits that have massive positive impact.
|Lack of Integrity||Consistency|
Making a choice to create positive habits will move us forward quickly and efficiently.
For those who think discipline and accountability are hard right now…brace yourself for massive regret in 30 years.
Remember, we all suffer, but we can choose our pain! You can suffer the difficulty of discipline and accountability now — or suffer the consequences in the future. The first is always the better way to go!
Join me in the 100 Day Challenge!